Saturday, January 14, 2012

What's Your District?

On March 23, 2012, we will be catapulted into the world of Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games, written by Suzanne Collins. When I originally read this book, I immediately wanted to see a visual representation of it in movie form. The pacing is fabulous and really represents a shift in literature that we've been seeing since the tremendous success of Stephenie Meyer's Twilight. A tremendous amount of detail has been paid to the setting in these books and Collins really allows you to mentally visualize what's happening to Everdeen and the other characters in this book.

The Hunger Games leaves you a little breathless, waiting to see if Everdeen survives her ordeal as one of the 24  teenagers selected in a yearly life or death battle against the odds, environment, and other contestants. It's cruel, unusual, and leaves you with the uncomfortable feeling that our own society could easily spiral into the same divided and conquered country as Collins post-apocalyptic version, which she names "Panem".

The Hunger Games Trilogy is exciting and probably the best Young Adult novel I've read in years. I'll admit, I have high expectations for the movie. I can't wait to see Lenny Kravitz as Cinna. I think they really nailed that one. And while I was hoping for Hugh Laurie to play the crotchety Haymitch, I read an interview on Woody Harrelson's approach to playing the character and was impressed.  The special effects are going to be a very necessary component to the movie's success but the portrayal of human relationships in the face of such harsh and unforgiving circumstances will be the determining factor in whether or not we want to see more.

May the odds be ever in your favor.